How Do I Know Whether I Need a Breast Lift With My Augmentation?
At the plastic surgery practice of Dr. Joshua A. Greenwald, we see many patients who do not know whether they require breast augmentation surgery with implants, breast lift surgery or a combination of the two to achieve their aesthetic goals. If this sounds familiar, and you, too, are uncertain which procedure is best for you, keep reading. New York breast surgeon Dr. Greenwald shares the following ways to tell whether breast implants, breast lift or both are right for you.
When Breast Implant Surgery Is the Answer
In general, women who want to improve the look of small or sagging breasts benefit from breast implant surgery alone when:
- The degree of ptosis (sagging breasts) is minor.
- The nipple points straight ahead (not downward) and is located near or in the center of the breast.
- There is some skin visible beneath the areola when looking at the breasts head on.
- The patient desires an increase in breast volume.
When Breast Lift Alone Will Suffice
Typically, women require breast lift surgery alone when:
- They suffer from moderate to severe ptosis.
- The nipple points toward the ground or has migrated down the front of the breast, toward the bottom.
- There is no noticeable skin beneath the areola when looking at the breasts head on.
- The patient does not desire an increase in breast volume.
When to Consider Combination Breast Augmentation and Lift
Combining breast implant surgery with breast lift is usually a suitable treatment option for women who desire an increase in breast volume (and perhaps a rounder breast contour with more dramatic outward projection from the chest) and who have:
- Moderate to severe breast ptosis
- Nipples that point toward the ground or have moved down the front of the breast, toward the bottom
- No visible skin beneath the areola when looking at breasts head on
The preliminary information above is a good reference for women who are just starting to consider breast enhancement surgery. However, the best way to determine whether you require breast augmentation surgery with implants, breast lift surgery or both is to come in for a consultation. Dr. Greenwald can evaluate your physique, listen to your aesthetic concerns and recommend an appropriate treatment protocol that will best suit your needs.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Greenwald to learn more about your breast enhancement treatment options, contact his practice by calling (914) 421-0113 or (212) 518-1642.