Brow Lift vs. Eyelid Surgery: What’s Right for You?
Dr. Joshua Greenwald offers several plastic surgery procedures intended to rejuvenate the appearance of aging eyes. Two of the most popular options are brow lift and eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty). Before choosing one or the other, it is crucial to understand the differences between the procedures.
Brow Lift at a Glance
Brow lift elevates a low, heavy brow into a more youthful, alert position. It also reduces forehead wrinkles and frown lines in between the eyebrows. The procedure is performed through short incisions along the scalp. The skin is separated from the underlying structures and the tissues are tightened. Then, the skin is re-draped more smoothly over the tissues. Any scarring from brow lift is well-concealed in the hairline.
Signs You Could Benefit From Brow Lift
- You are bothered by signs of aging in the brow region such as drooping, heavy eyebrows.
- The skin on your upper eyelids appears firm and smooth but your brows appear to hood your lids.
- You are bothered by unsightly wrinkle lines on your forehead or frown lines (“elevens”) in between your eyebrows.
- You wish your eyes didn’t make you look grumpy or unapproachable.
Eyelid Surgery at a Glance
Eyelid surgery can improve the position of the upper eyelids, the lower eyelids or both. Excess skin and tissue is removed, the muscles of the lids are tightened and the remaining skin is smoothed out. The incisions for eyelid surgery are made in the natural folds and creases of the lids, so any scarring is very discreet.
Signs You Could Benefit From Eyelid Surgery
- Your brows are in a youthful position, but you have excess skin and tissue on your upper eyelids. The skin may rest against your eyelashes or spill over your upper lashline, encroaching on your line of sight.
- You have fine wrinkles in the skin of your upper and/or lower eyelids.
- You have noticeable bags or bulges underneath your eyes.
- You wish your eyes looked bigger and brighter.
Combining Brow Lift and Eyelid Surgery
The two procedures are not mutually exclusive. For some patients, combining brow lift with eyelid surgery delivers the best outcome.
The most reliable way to determine whether you could benefit from eyelid surgery or brow lift (or a combination of both) is to consult with Dr. Greenwald. He can perform a physical examination and design a treatment plan around your unique goals.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Greenwald, please contact our practice today.