Liposuction in Manhattan
Serving NYC / Westchester County Liposuction Patients
- What Liposuction Improves
- Who Is an Appropriate Candidate for Liposuction?
- The Liposuction Procedure
- Recovering From Liposuction
- What Does Liposuction Cost?
What Liposuction Improves
Although some people are able to achieve their ideal figure with diet and exercise alone, many other individuals turn to Joshua A. Greenwald, MD, FACS, for help in attaining their dream physique. These individuals are at their ideal weight — or just slightly above it — but they cannot sculpt certain areas of their body due to stubborn localized deposits of fat that are resistant to a nutritious diet and consistent fitness routine.
Encouragingly, Dr. Greenwald performs liposuction to remove stubborn, unwanted fat from the following areas of the body:
- Upper back
- Upper arms
Who Is an Appropriate Candidate for Liposuction?
Dr. Greenwald's Awards and Memberships
Individuals who are considering liposuction should schedule a consultation with a qualified, board-certified plastic surgeon such as Dr. Greenwald, so he can identify if they are appropriate candidates for the procedure. Good candidates for liposuction normally include those who:
- Are at or just over their ideal body weight
- Suffer from localized fat deposits
- Have tried to contour their “problem” area(s) with diet and exercise but have not been successful in achieving their desired aesthetic results
- On the whole, have a sound body image, but are concerned with stubborn pockets of fat
- Are in sound physical and mental health overall
- Have sensible expectations regarding the outcome of surgery and seek cosmetic improvement, not perfection
- Are pursuing liposuction of their own accord
Video: Why Choose Dr. Greenwald
Hear one of Dr. Greenwald’s Manhattan plastic surgery patients discuss her experience and why she chose Dr. Greenwald.
The Liposuction Procedure
Liposuction is an outpatient surgical procedure, usually performed under general anesthesia.
Dr. Greenwald first creates several small incisions in or near the treatment area, in inconspicuous locations that are easily hidden by the body’s natural shape or by clothing. He inserts a cannula (a thin, hollow tube) through the incisions, which he uses to suction out the unwanted fat cells.
Dr. Greenwald stays abreast of technical and technological advancements in the field. Thanks to his broad expertise, he is able to offer a range of liposuction techniques, including tumescent liposuction, laser liposuction and Smartlipo.
With tumescent liposuction, Dr. Greenwald injects tumescent solution containing saline, lidocaine (a local anesthetic) and epinephrine into the treatment area. This reduces postoperative pain and bruising.
During consultation, Dr. Greenwald reviews each patient’s aesthetic goals and anatomical requirements before recommending an appropriate treatment plan that best meets the person’s unique needs.
Recovering From Liposuction
Before the day of the procedure, Dr. Greenwald provides patients with comprehensive instructions detailing how to care for the treated area both prior to and after surgery. After liposuction surgery with Dr. Greenwald:
- Most liposuction patients are able to resume their normal activities within days of the procedure.
- Many individuals only need mild pain relievers or do not need any pain medication at all.
- The treated area might be swollen, bruised, painful, tender, numb or tingling.
- Patients can slowly resume their regular fitness routine as advised by Dr. Greenwald.
- Patients must wear a compression garment over the treated area for four weeks after surgery.
- Some of the aesthetic results of liposuction are immediately noticeable, but it takes about six months for the swelling to diminish fully and for the complete results to be visible
Liposuction Recovery Chart
Patient’s preoperative testing is reviewed. Patient will have filled prescriptions for pain medications and antibiotics if indicated. Meet with Dr. Greenwald, our anesthesiologist and nurses.
Liposcution takes between 60 - 180 minutes depending on the number of areas treated.
Approximately 1 hour - you must be sent home with a responsible adult who should plan on spending the night with you.
Patients are sent home in a compression garment. This can be removed and replaced 48 hours after surgery after which time patients can shower. Patients should be ambulatory.
Postoperative Visit #1
Usually 5-7 days after surgery. All sites are examined. Compression is continued 24/7 x 7 days and then at night x 2 weeks.
Postoperative Visit #2
Usually 3 weeks after procedure. Your new shape should be visible. A significant amount of the swelling should be gone! It is OK to resume all exercise.
Postoperative Visit #3
Patient’s are typically seen 3-4 months after surgery and then yearly.
How Much Does Liposuction Cost?
The total cost of liposuction varies based on
- Body type
- Anatomical needs
- Aesthetic objectives
- Type of liposuction performed
- How many areas of the body are being treated during surgery
- If any adjunct procedures are being performed (e.g., tummy tuck).
The chief costs associated with liposuction include the surgeon’s fee, the cost of the operating facility, and the anesthesiologist’s fee, if required. (Liposuction on a small area can be performed under local anesthesia, without the need for an anesthesiologist.)
To arrange a one-on-one consultation, or to obtain more information about liposuction, contact the practice of Dr. Greenwald by calling (914) 421-0113 or (212) 518-1642 now.